- Designers tend to care about people as people. Instead of just as prospects or customers.
- Design as a field has evolved to speak more machine, more scale, and more $$$s.
- A lot of work has been done in the design world to birth a new “aesthetics of ethics.”
- Speaking human really well will matter more than speaking machine in this next chapter.
- But it’s not mainstage because it doesn’t sound like “time or $$$s saved” or “new $$$s.”
- Next year’s report will center around the business value of this new kind of design.
Design in Tech Report 2023: Design and Artificial Intelligence
This year’s report provides a primer on how to speak machine in the new age of pre-trained foundation models and so-called “large language model (LLM)” AIs.
Thank you to Henrik, Frederik, Sean-Wood, Kai, Kim, Samuel, Henry, Ryan, Chris, Colin, Agnieszka, Bob, Gary, Agu, Dave, Moisés, Me, Ankita, Darius, Rachel, Aldo, PChia, Heather, Justine, Miguel, Florentin, Juliana, Amanda, Sam, Gaby, Kerry, Chloe, Duncan, Jan, Harshika, Arum, Gael, Raffaela, Ghizlene, Marcel, Narasimha, Eelko, Jason, Debk, Andrea, Ashish, André, Bill, Maria, Art, Puneet, Vidhi, Matt, Lauren, Brian, Sridhar, Gaurang, Julie, Ocean, Axel, Sithembiso, Rodolfo, Sanmitra, Sébastien, Bruce, Jason, Maria, Carlo, Bs, Angelina, Silvia, Filippo, Manisha, Roland-Philippe, Andrés, Ame, Lucas, Marin, Mark, Cristin, Quang, Juhan, Pat, Luiza, Zyo, Chrys, Mea, Rupert, Ellie, Richard, Paolo, Sean, Guy, Kaladhar, Sebastian, Alessio, Surya, Richard, Andre, Dani, Vivek, Christina, Jesper, Ranjeet, Kshipra, Betsongeorge, Jodean, Marc, Paul, Akshay, Roman, Dylan, Naomi, George, Paul for contributing to the 2023 survey!
I think all the links in the doc work. And if not, I’ve made QR-code versions of the linked content so that you can enjoy it from your mobile device.
This is an abridged version of the 1-hour long talk I gave at SXSW. Enjoy!
Monthly Briefing For 20K+ Thinkers
What Is The Design In Tech Report?
Back in 2015, I started sharing everything I’d recently learned into a kind of “music album” of knowledge to drop at SXSW. It’s a side project that hasn’t left my side, thus far—I guess it saves me time so I don’t have to write another book :+). Big thanks to the SXSW team for letting me come back for nine consecutive years! —JM